Showcase your espresso brewing skills with the EC PRO and its bottomless filter.
A bottomless filter produces a shot of espresso with a thicker, richer crema because the coffee has less contact with the portafilter. The filter also preserves the natural coffee oils to make a tastier brew.
While using a bottomless filter requires a little more skill, we’ve got some tips to help you with your technique so you can brew barista-style.
- Use a burr grinder to ensure consistency of ground coffee. The right grind size depends on the type of coffee bean; adjust grind size as necessary.
- Always start the process of extracting with a clean, dry portafilter basket.
- Even distribution of coffee grounds is critical to avoid uneven extraction.
- Fill portafilter so it is slightly overflowing and use fingers to evenly distribute grounds and level.
- An even tamp means an even extraction. Rest the flat section of the bottomless filter on the side of a countertop to level the filter when tamping for even distribution.
- Aim for a 20-30 second extraction and adjust the time of the brew by changing the grind size. For a faster brew, use a coarser grind. For a slower brew, use a finer grind.
For more tips and information about using the EC PRO’s bottomless filter, visit Capresso.com.