These energizing dark muffins are bursting with dark chocolate delight. Pair one with an espresso or latte for the perfect morning wake-up or snack.
• East Coast Blend coffee beans, as needed
• 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour, if needed)
• ½ cup cane sugar
• ¼ cup packed brown sugar
• ¾ tsp baking powder
• ¾ tsp baking soda
• ¼ tsp kosher salt
• ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup sour cream
• ¼ cup + 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup dark chocolate chips
• Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Use a conical burr grinder to finely grind coffee beans. Measure 2 ½ tbsp of ground coffee and place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg to mixing bowl; mix well.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, combine eggs, sour cream, butter, and vanilla extract; mix well.
5. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just moistened. Do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
6. Spray nonstick muffin cups with cooking spray. Fill each muffin cup halfway to three quarters full. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to further cool.
Makes 18 muffins